Fall is the best time to plant trees, shrubs and perennials. The cooler temperatures mean less watering and less stress on the plants. The plants will have plenty of time to grow a great root system before the ground freezes which means a stronger, healthier plant next year. You can continue planting through mid-October. Here at Phelps Nursery we restock fresh, new stock even now so that you have the same great choices as in Spring. Fall is also the best time to take advantage of GREAT Sales and Discounts, so plan next years’ landscape now and SAVE!
WHY PLANT TREES AND SHRUBS AT ALL ?
Environmental Benefits of Fall Planting
- Plant trees and shrubs first-they are the most valuable plants in the landscape because they are the most useful. They are energy savers, air-conditioners and wildlife havens.
- Shade trees can reduce your heating/cooling costs by 10-50% !
- In one year an average tree produces enough oxygen for a family of four for one year.
The net cooling effect of a young, healthy tree is equilavent to 10 room-size air conditioners operating 20 hours per day.
- One acre of trees and shrubs has the ability to remove 13 tons of particles and gases annually.
- The amount of fossil fuels used for heating/cooling is reduced by using trees and shrubs to modify temperatures.
- Planting trees and shrubs remains the cheapest and most effective means of drawing excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
- One tree can remove 26 pounds of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere annually, equaling 11,000 miles of car emissions.
- Tests done in a mall parking lot showed a 31 degree difference between shaded and un-shaded areas.
- 2.6 tons of carbon is sequestered in a year by one acre of trees and shrubs.
- Street-level particulate pollution can be reduced by 60% by trees and shrubs lining an urban street.
- One 12” caliper Sugar Maple can remove 5200 mg. of lead from the air in one year.
Trees and shrubs intercept water, store some of it, and reduce storm runoff and the possibility of flooding.
- Air quality can be improved through the use of trees and shrubs and turf. Leaves filter the air we breathe by removing dust and other particulates. Leaves absorb carbon dioxide and other air pollutants (such as ozone, carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide) and give off oxygen.
By planting trees and shrubs, we return to a more natural, less artificial environment. The natural cycles of plant growth, reproduction and decomposition are again present, both above and below the ground.
One of the best ways to increase your home’s resale value is by adding trees and shrubs to your landscape. Adding trees and shrubs can increase your home’s value by 10-15% ! September, October and November are the best months to plant trees and shrubs. Late season planting reduces stress on the plants and gives them a chance to establish a strong root system. Fall is more forgiving than dry summer months by offering cooler temperatures and less intense sunlight. Water requirements diminish during the Fall months. So add value and beauty to your home AND help improve the environment, PLANT TREES AND SHRUBS.
Phelps Nursery has a great selection of Ornamental and Shade Trees available for the Fall planting season. Along with the dependable favorites like Crimson King Maples, Red Sunset Maples, Eastern Redbuds, Forest Pansy Redbuds, Dogwoods, Magnolias, Cherries and Pears we have many unusual and hard to find varieties you cannot find anywhere else ! We are here to help you make great choices for your landscape and WE DELIVER AND PLANT , so adding beauty to your landscape has never been easier. Here are just a few examples of the great selections we have to offer you:
Sourwood Tree: Small ornamental tree with clusters of drooping, fragrant white flowers which cover the entire tree all summer like a white lacy veil. Fall brings on multi-hued colors.
Ginkgo Biloba Tree: Unusual fan-shaped leaves, the only two-lobe leafed tree in America! Turns an incredible clear yellow color in the fall. This male variety does not produce fruit. This trees' origin has been traced back to when dinosaurs ruled the Earth!
Autumn Flowering Cherry: Deep pink buds open to light pink flowers in early spring, then these soft pink flowers return in the fall for an encore!
Katsura Tree: The name may sound like a sneeze but this tree is nothing to sneeze at! Blue-green foliage that turns iridescent shades of apricot-orange in the Fall. It also changes color from the inside out; most trees do the opposite.
These unique trees are just a few of the trees we have looking for good homes where they can provide years of shade and enjoyment. Don't forget: we deliver and plant trees for you so you can just sit back and enjoy!